We are looking for creative stories with depth. Think C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L’Engle, Roald Dahl, Flannery O’Connor, Isaac Asimov, Pearl S. Buck, Ted Dekker, Nathanial Hawthorne…the list goes on.
We’re open to lots of genres. We publish stories that excite us, especially when they’re written by nice people.
Is your story creative? Is it engaging to read? Is it fun? Does it have another layer of depth or meaning? Then we want to read it!
Have questions about our company and how we publish books? Please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Columbus Press accepts unsolicited submissions that conform to the following guidelines:
- Finished novel-length work (50,000-125,000 total word count)
- Not currently being reviewed by any other publishing house
- Is your work, with full authority to sell
If the work you’re contacting us about has been previously published in any format, please alert us to that right away and provide all pertinent information, web links and sales numbers. This includes if portions have been published to the internet (including contests and personal blogs).
What to Send
In the body of a professionally crafted email, please send the following:
- Your name and contact information
- A brief synopsis of the plot – 500 words or less (complete, not a tease)
- The genre and word count
- The first 1,000 words (approximately) of your work
- No attachments please
- BONUS: Tell us why Columbus Press is the perfect home for this manuscript
We DO NOT accept:
- The entire manuscript
- Attached formal query letters
- Printed (paper) manuscripts by mail
- The genres of erotica, children’s books, or works of an academic nature
Send your query to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact us by email with the requested information and by no other means. Please follow the instructions listed here, and keep it simple. We are far more interested in your concept and the content of your manuscript than we are in your ability to write compelling query letters.
Review & Notification
All work will be promptly reviewed by a human being, and you will be notified of the results in a timely manner. If we are interested in learning more about your work, we will request the full manuscript, a larger sample or the outline.
If you do not hear back from us within 6 weeks of submission, please contact us again. Be sure to check your “spam” folder for correspondence.